It’s hard to believe that I used to wear black from head to toe. Over the years, I’ve learned to love the art of accessorizing and accenting, including appreciating prints – especially from Liberty of London, Marimekko, and Orla Kiely. Not to mention, it can be more challenging to match blacks! Even if I don’t buy and wear them, I love a good print.
Marimekko has been getting more mainstream in the States. Previously, you could only find some items at Anthropologie, Crate & Barrel, or boutiques. Many prints have been around for decades, which contributes to the timelessness of the prints. My mother introduced me to Marimekko while I was growing up. Living abroad helps you have a more global, not a US-centric focus. In 2011, Marimekko opened a store in NYC off of Madison Square Park and they started a collab with Converse. I still remember catching the first glimpse of the collection in the Marimekko store on Garosu-gil in Seoul with my friend, Mari.
For the Marimekko fans, the good news is that this seems to be an ongoing collab. It’s approaching its fourth collection and each collection focuses on a few prints. The last thing I need is another pair of shoes, but I can’t help but look! Many of these styles are over 50% off at Saks.
- First collection – Spring 2011
- Tarha (1963), Pikkusuomu (1965), and Kirppu (1980)
- Second collection – Fall 2011
- Unikko (1964), Paprika (1965), Kaleidoskooppi (2011), Poni (2011)
- Third collection – Holiday 2011
- Paprika (1965), Varpunen (1966), Poni (2011)
- Fourth collection – Spring 2012
- Unikko (1964), Lokki (1961), Appelsiini (1950), Muija (1968), Kameka (2012)
(Image source: Saks.com)
(Left to right, top to bottom (*) indicates sale.)
- Navy & silver Varpunen Chuck Taylor All Star Ox. Holiday 2011.
- Pink & orange Lokki Chuck Taylor All Star High (or here). In black & white low here (not pictured). Spring 2012.
- Navy/yellow Unikko Jack Purcell Helen. Fall 2011.
- Blue & white Kameka Jack Purcell Helen. Spring 2012.
- *Black & white Poni Chuck Taylor All Star Ox. Fall 2011.
- *Pink Unikko Chuck Taylor All Star Ox. Spring 2012.
- *Black & white Kirppu Chuck Taylor All Star Ox (also click through for the orange/purple Tarha print) / black & white Kirppu Chuck Taylor All Star High. Spring 2011.
- *Red & white Kirppu Jack Purcell Helen. Spring 2011.