Mansur Gavriel is currently hosting its first sample sale through April 21, 2018 in Soho, New York City. Today is the third day. I didn’t have high expectations for the sale, but from the sample sale reports on social media, it looks amazing minus the lines. They have significant discounts, variety, no complaints on bag condition, restocking throughout, etc. Sample sales rarely bring out the best in people. When the discounts are 70% off patent leather or fabric bags, 50% off suede, calf, or tumbled leather bags, 40% off vegetable tanned leather bags, $125 for flat clutches, and 65% off ready to wear, it’s a bargain hunter’s paradise as much as it is a reseller’s.
The rest of this post will focus on the online sample sale experience. Hopefully it helps someone who wants to try for Day 4. This is based on my own online shopping experiences as well as tips that other shoppers have left on social media and forums. This is not a true sample sale but more like an overstock/clearance of discontinued items sale.
Tips for Navigating the Online Sample Sale
Patience and Attitude
MG didn’t have to put this sale online. It’s limited supply with an extremely hot demand, so expect stuff to sell out within minutes of being added to the site.
Planning What You Want
- Do your research on styles, types of leathers, and colors. This won’t help you for any discontinued models that currently aren’t on the site.
- Have a list of what you want and a budget. When new inventory drops, you won’t have much time to think. This will help you stick to what you want and not buy for the sake of the deal. Would you buy it if it was not on sale?
- To date, they have been adding new inventory (styles/leathers/colors) to the top of the page, sorted in color groups for that day. This means that styles/leathers/colors offered on prior days were not restocked. It’s hard to say if they will follow the same approach tomorrow or restock old styles tomorrow. Better yet, sell any unsold inventory from their physical sale online after tomorrow. See the bottom of the post for the list of what has already been released and their prices. (Feb 2019 update based on the London sale: This was the first online sample sale with bags, shoes, and clothes. I didn’t pay attention to shoes and clothes, but for bags, they wiped out what was on sale and had a clean slate every day, sorted by color. This also means if something didn’t sell out, it may still be available but just not linked from the sale page or any MG page.)
- Prices are similar to the physical sample sale prices. Exceptions are there are some patent items that were 50% instead of 70%.
Prepping to Buy
- Communication: Read their Instagram posts. They provide updates on what dates/times the sale will start online. You can take it a step further and set your Instagram options for phone notifications on when they update their Instagram/Instagram Stories. Sign up for their mailing list. They will provide the sale’s URL in these updates. The same URL is used for the entire sample sale.
- Timing: The physical sale started at 8am EST on Thursday-Saturday and is scheduled to start at 10am EST on Sunday. The online sale updates roughly around the same time. It can happen before or after the start time, but the variance is minimal. I.e. you need to be ready leading up to 8am or 10am. If you check out the sale 20 minutes past the official start time, you’re most likely too late.
- “Shopping through Instagram Stories”: MG initially advertised that some bags would be sold through Instagram Stories. Well, all they did was post a public link in Instagram Stories. You can access the sale faster by going straight to the sample sale page which was advertised in their e-mail blasts.
- Desktop and/or Mobile: I think mobile slows you down. I used a desktop and also have dual monitor screens. Say you are looking for a tote. You can easily search and jump to all instances of “tote”. (In fact for the latest sale, I had a list of words to search.) The dual monitor screen is good for multitasking such as checking out on one screen and seeing what refreshed on the sample sale page on the other screen.
- Sorted by Color: Items that drop for the day are arranged in color groups. So if you’re very partial for a color, scroll through and look for the color.
- Account Set-Up/Mailing List: You should already have an account set-up and signed up for the mailing list. Although typically the e-mails are sent a few minutes after the inventory has already been refreshed, it’s better than nothing. There should be minimal input of any information during checkout. It slows you down.
- Credit Card or PayPal: PayPal is much faster and less prone to errors. Do a dry run with a non-sale item so your PayPal login is working and doesn’t require a fresh login.
- 5% cashback tip: Chase Freedom has 5% back on all PayPal purchases this quarter. My default credit card is currently set to a Chase Freedom. Chase Freedom also has Return Protection in case something goes wrong with your Final Sale purchase, but note this benefit is rumored to be discontinued very soon.
- Many credit cards have return protection, in case you have issues with your “Final Sale” item.
- Checkout ASAP: Once you have something in your cart, checkout ASAP. Most sites do not reserve items in the cart for you. MG definitely does not. Shipping is free worldwide anyways, so there is nothing you would benefit from by buying multiple things in one order.
- Refresh the Sample Sale Page: They added items in waves. It also looks like quantity was refreshed for some of those after the first “Sold Out”. This all happened in the first hour.
- Boxes: They weren’t given to the physical sample sale buyers. I got them for my online sample sale orders for NY, but not for the London online sample sale.
- Negative Outcomes:
- “Sold Out”: Sold Out on the sample sale landing page and on the product page lags. This means you may add something to your cart and when you click on checkout, it already sold out. Frustrating, I know.
- Waitlist: Sometimes on the product page, there will be a “Waitlist” button. Click on it and enter your e-mail because you will get an alert if they add inventory. This button tends to only appear right after something goes poof.
- Cancellations: Some people have been getting cancellations ~20 minutes after they ordered. If this happens, contact MG via e-mail and/or Instagram because it looks like they were able to help people.
- Check the reseller sites (eBay, Poshmark, Tradesy) but beware of fakes. Items from the sale have already been posted (it’s rather obvious with the influx of patent leather and canvas). Some people will be itching to get rid of something and only wants to break even.
- Used MG typically goes for good buyer-friendly prices.
Styles/Colors/Leathers and Prices
All items are listed on the sample sale page.
- Day 1:
- Calf bucket $350 in Royal
- Calf mini bucket $305 in Royal
- Calf mini mini bucket $240 in Sea Blue
- Calf mini lady $525 in Royal, Sea Blue
- Calf large tote $340 in Royal
- Calf saddle $450 in Blu
- Calf ocean $350 in Blu, White, Moss
- Patent mini bucket $135 in Blu, Sea Blue
- Patent mini mini bucket $105 in Sea Blue
- Patent mini mini sun $120 in Sea Blue
- Patent mini moon clutch $75 in Black
- Tumble mini bucket $265 in Royal
- Suede bucket $300 in Chocolate
- Suede mini bucket $250 in Chocolate
- Suede mini sun $350 in Blu
- Suede flat clutch $125 in Black, Royal, Moss
- Suede elegant $400 in Royal
- Canvas bucket $160 in Creme/Black, Black/Black, Creme/Cammello, Creme/Brandy
- Stripe north south tote $175 in Moss/White
- Stripe circle bag $270 in Moss/White
- Stripe volume clutch $180 Moss/White
- Day 2:
- Calf bucket $350 in Peony
- Calf mini lady $525 in Peony
- Calf posternak $445 in Rosa, White
- Calf saddle bag $450 in Blush, Rosa, Flamma
- Calf with suede baguette $350 in Flamma
- Saffiano mini mini bucket $220 in Silver/Argento
- Patent bucket $135 in Rosa
- Patent mini bucket $225 in Blush. Black
- Patent mini mini bucket $105 in Black
- Patent mini mini bucket $105 in Rosa, Flamma
- Patent mini sun $180 in Blush
- Patent mini mini sun $120 in Blush
- Patent moon clutch $145 in Blu
- Tumble mini lady $525 in Peony
- Tumble large sun $450 in Rococo, Peony
- Tumble mini sun $550 in Peony, Moss
- Suede bucket $295 in Rococo, Brick
- Suede mini lady $375 in Rococo
- Suede backpack $450 in Blue
- Suede sun $445 in Rococo, Chocolate, Black, Brick
- Suede mini sun $345 in Moss
- Suede flat clutch $125 in Blue, Flamma
- Canvas lady $250 in Black/Black, Creme/Black, Creme/Brandy
- Grosgrain elegant bag $210 in Rosa
- Stripe north south tote $175 in Black/Flamma
- Day 3:
- Calf large tote $340 in Rosa, Coral, Flamma, Olive, Moss, Blu
- Calf mini backpack $395 in Coral
- Calf mini crossbody $265 in Coral
- Calf bucket $345 in Sand
- Calf mini bucket $305 in Sand
- Calf elegant bag in $410 in Flamma, Moss
- Calf mini mini sun bag $225 in Moss
- Saffiano large tote $310 in Rosa
- Saffiano mini backpack $345 in Flamma
- Tumble small tote $270 in Black
- Tumble bucket $315 in Flamma, Blu
- Tumble mini bucket $265 in Moss
- Tumble lady $595 in Blu
- Tumble mini lady $525 in Moss
- Suede sun $350 in Blu
- Vegetable tanned ocean $360 in Black