(Updated January 10 with more reviews)
Uniqlo +J Collaboration
The last Uniqlo +J collaboration was roughly around the time that I started this blog. Uniqlo didn’t have e-commerce and in NYC, there was only one place to go – the Soho store. I still have a few pieces in my closet from that collection, but sadly some of the nicer pieces no longer fit.
I totally underestimated this launch and my own memory; I should’ve set up a reminder. By the time I got on, it was 1+ hour after the US launch and most of the women’s collection was sold out. I haven’t heard of any more major restocks but have been checking daily. If you are interested in any pieces and can’t get to a physical store that has it, best to be quick about purchasing online. I’ve linked the specific pieces below of most interest. I’m not sure yet whether something could be in stock but not show up at the above link for the entire collection.
- WOMEN +J ULTRA LIGHT DOWN HOODED COAT (middle) – I got this in blue in my normal ultra light down size. I love it. I’ve very happy with the dark shade of blue, cut (it is more tailored), stylish sleeves and hood, longer length, and lining. My biggest problem with ULD in recent years is that feathers poke out of the lining and are so hard to clean off of my mostly black/blue clothes. Fingers crossed that it won’t happen here. Around the same time, a H&M quilted coat arrived and its quality and shapelessness paled in comparison with this coat. It was a no brainer.
- WOMEN +J DOUBLE FACE STAND COLLAR JACKET (unpictured) – I sized up because that was all that was available, and it was too boxy all around.
I haven’t seen this pop back at all. It is nicely made but I am lukewarm about it, maybe the right size would help. It goes with the next item.I eventually got my normal size in black. It is still a little boxy but in a nicer, intentional oversized way. The downside of popbacks is that they are returns so this has to be steamed and delinted.
- WOMEN +J EXTRA FINE MERINO TURTLENECK SWEATER (not pictured)- I sized up in this as well and it was perfect as I wanted it to be less fitted. I don’t often wear sweaters. I thought it was cut well and of good quality, which can’t be said for knits for other collabs. I later tried sizing down to my normal size and found the difference to be negligible to me, and there was a hole in the sleeve. This comes in a few colors and I got the colors I wear the most — black and navy.
- WOMEN +J HYBRID DOWN JACKET (Short) (right) –
I haven’t seen it in person yet.I sized down. Reviews said that it runs large and long in the sleeves/neck. This ran very large and was unflattering on me. If you have the right proportions and size, this could look amazing.
- WOMEN +J HYBRID DOWN COAT (Long) (not pictured) – This also ran large. It was huge in my normal size and one size down, so I would guess you could size down 2 sizes. The overall shape is a triangle but other than that there is nothing distinctive that I could see. It looks better if you’re tall.
- WOMEN +J HYBRID DOWN SHORT COAT (not pictured) – This is a favorite of the Youtubers. I haven’t been able to snag the popback yet.
- WOMEN CASHMERE BLEND COLLARLESS COAT (left) – This was an elusive popback. It is comfortably oversized one size down. Watching Youtube reviews on this coat helped me notice that the collars are asymmetrical, which is a nice detail. The material is very soft. I would’ve loved the navy as well if it were in stock. This was also a victim of popback lint but didn’t wrinkle much.
- WOMEN +J SILK JERSEY TURTLENECK LONG-SLEEVE T-SHIRT (not pictured) – I would say this is true to size, although I could only find it in a size up and went with that. It is a nice weight and I can see this lasting a long time (like the jersey tee I wear from the last collab).
- WOMEN +J LONG-SLEEVE SHIRT DRESS (not pictured) – Also oversized but not awkwardly so. I sized down one size. I only saw it popback in black. I generally like shirtdresses and this was a nice twist on the classic design (which COS has done before) – although you have to understand that the belt is supposed to go around your waist underneath the dress and emerge in front near the sides of your waistline. You can control how tight you want it to be. If you had a nicer belt, you could integrate that. The bottom hem is also shorter in the front than back. There are pockets! The material is heavier, I don’t see this being wearable in balmy summer weather.
There is a Uniqlo warehouse near me, so orders typically ship in one day. With the holiday season, I was a little nervous when I saw an order with three precious popbacks “In Process” and “Pending” for days. I think it’s a good sign if you received the e-mail order confirmation and the order wasn’t immediately processed as cancelled.
This collection was generally oversized, it would’ve helped the consumer if they had the products with model sizing info. Some of the items weren’t modeled on the product page. It would have also decreased the amount of returns for Uniqlo. It has been disappointing how the warehouse hasn’t done much to delint or clear items between customers. It’s very obvious on black clothing.
Uniqlo also recently changed their return policy (link). If you purchase online, you can only return online! This is better for +J popbacks if all returns are going back to their warehouse. Their return shipping label fee of $7 is reasonable. Sometimes I claim a PayPal shipping refund (mentioned below). If it wasn’t the holiday (temp workers) or pricier +J items, I wouldn’t hesitate to combine returns for multiple orders. Although they typically will charge you the label for each order you return and you have to manually request a refund.
The Curated Outerwear
I tried the Classic Coat and had to size up so that it was less tight around the hips. I most likely won’t tie it because I don’t like how it looks even with the sizing up. It is warm but for when it is colder, I can fit a collarless Uniqlo ULD coat underneath it. The material is so so soft. This is probably their most popular style, but I would like to say if you are bottom heavy, this style is not ideal.
There is supposed to be a new style coming next year that is similar to the Tailored Coat (more hip friendly) but shorter, which I would seriously consider.
They don’t have a Black Friday promotion.