My favorite Clare Vivier style after all of these years is still the La Tropezienne (previously reviewed). There are two colors (white and black) in the short handle length (the OG) that is currently on super sale. Rare, considering CV’s own site no longer carries them.
Note: If anybody else loves the original La Trop luscious, thick, durable leather as much as I do, they refer to it as “Old Fashion” and I think “Rustic”. They are using this leather in the new Le Big Sac on Clare V and Anthropologie. They also used it for the black Frances shoulder bag, which is now sold out (Edit: Found it here). I got both bags in black in late 2017 and they had both sold out quickly. Le Big Sac just came back in new colors. I may eventually post a review of both. If you see either sold on Garmentory, proceed with caution.
Without further ado, a mini ode to the white La Trop:
Images: Clare V’s blog and Instagram
The new Clare V petit simple tote in perforated leather is trim, structured, and chic. (And it’s included in the Shopbop site-wide up to 25% off promotion.)
Six things I liked this week
(1) The new Hulu original show, 11.22.63. James Franco plays the protaganist and travels back in time to before the JFK assassination. Episodes drop once a week and it’s week 1. We’re learning patience.
Image source: Various. Not shown to scale.
My current favorites. Factors include weight, quality of craftmanship, and value.
Image source: Steven Alan
Steven Alan is the first to sell Clare Vivier’s new collab with & Other Stories. It officially launches on & Other Stories and in their NYC store on March 5th. The collection is also available at the Steven La Brea and Nolita stores. The collection is punchy and begging for warm weather. What do you think?
P.S. Some of Clare V’s non-collab items are on sale.
Image source: Madewell, Outnet
I purchased and returned these very similar black leather duffle bags: the Madewell et sézane® nola satchel (left, limited edition and on final sale for $209.99) and Clare Vivier Duffle Grand (right, 50% off for $294.20). I’ve been looking for a satchel to tote around that is large enough for travel (not as the sole bag) and occasional everyday use. They are both very similar in shape, size (give and take an inch variance in each dimension despite the photos) and in color, but that’s about it.
- Leather – Madewell’s is much thicker and substantial. CV’s is too thin and that includes the leather strap. The zipper puckers a little when it’s zipped up. I doubt the strap would hold with heavy use. For a bag like this, I’m looking for durability.
- Shoulder strap – Madewell’s can be adjusted. CV’s is fixed and I think it feels a bit short.
- Top handle drop – Madewell’s is an inch longer, which means it can fit under your shoulder.
- Price – Retail of $299.99 vs $658.
My pick? Madewell. I’d returned the Madewell because I didn’t want to pay retail. Now, Madewell really needs to a % off sale code!
Happy New Year! I’m haven’t been in the biggest of shopping moods and being away from the computer has helped. I’ve been stalking J.Crew every morning for sale popbacks (and they didn’t have the greatest year so that pesky final sale is not back yet!). I happily resold a number of things on eBay right after Christmas through this week and am motivated to organize more things to sell.
Over the holidays, I used my Clare V black basketweave simple tote (similar) with my gold Clare V clutch (which was taken out of circulation for months). The simple tote is one of their sturdiest bags and can accommodate a ton.
A few good sales, ordered in my level of interest/variety:
- The Outnet. 50% off a ton (they carry prior season Net-A-Porter). If you’re a CV fan, it’s a must click.
- Piperlime. Up to 30% off everything. Hint: Gap Inc applies discounts to each item, so if you return something and dip below the $350 minimum for the max 30% discount, it shouldn’t affect what you keep.
- Anthropologie. 25% off sale with code INAFLURRY. Expiration unknown.
- Roztayger. 25% off sale with code EXTRASTRENGTH through Sunday night!
- Steven Alan
- W Concept. 30% off everything with code NEWYEAR through Friday 1/9 6pm ET.
- MILLE. 25% off sale with code NEWYEAR2015. Expiration unknown.
- Neiman Marcus
- Saint Cloud
Additional 20% off sale at Bergdorf Goodman which includes already on sale Clare Vivier… Sale ends on Dec 14.
Image source: Bergdorf Goodman
P.S. I recently “read” I’ll Drink to That by BG’s famous stylist, Betty Halbreich. It was a charming read.