My current favorites. Factors include weight, quality of craftmanship, and value.
Image source: Nordstrom
- Order more than $130 in beauty and fragrance at Nordstrom and get a spring gift set valued at $121 (pictured). If you spend over $150, they’ll tack on a deluxe Fresh rose mask and toner. Check out their gifts and value sets and exclusives, like the YSL Pop Water collection, or travel and trial sizes. I wouldn’t buy something just for the gift, but it works out nicely if you needed to make a purchase, especially since some brands also have a gift with purchase.
- Free sample gift box from Cerave.
- Clare Vivier la Trop in red (shop)! My favorite tote is back (use code SPRING25 for 25% off)… and CV’s new WeHo shop is open.
- Rifle Paper Co collaborates with Birchbox.
- My favorite striped tee. It often sells out. It’s lightweight and can be worn year-round, not clingy, and perfect for layering under blazers for work. I have it in three colors.
- New Cuyana zipper totes launched on April 1.
- Urban Outfitters has an excellent selection of Asian skincare brands. I took a random sample and compared UO prices with other online retailers and sadly, UO has quite a markup. Get 20% off, I think, through today.
Steven Alan is the first to sell Clare Vivier’s new collab with & Other Stories. It officially launches on & Other Stories and in their NYC store on March 5th. The collection is also available at the Steven La Brea and Nolita stores. The collection is punchy and begging for warm weather. What do you think?
P.S. Some of Clare V’s non-collab items are on sale.
- Chloe ballet flats. I encountered an amaaazing (70% off) sale that I couldn’t resist. Final sale? There’s always eBay or Amex return protection. While they didn’t have their classic scalloped ballet flat in a reasonable color or in my size, I did figure out my Chloe size. It’s true to size, folks, i.e. 38.0 = US 8. I’m keeping a pair of pointed ballet flats, but am not sure if I like pointy (sometimes I walk into things and the extra length does not help) or the excessive toe cleavage. As seen here, here, and similar here.
- This little piggy went to the market => I’ve been keeping an eye on the custom Baggus for Crate and Barrel and love the current pig one.
- My Clarisonic Plus of 5+ years died. The sad thing is that it was in storage for the last 2 years and is out of warranty (both manufacturer’s and extended credit card). Clarisonic offered a 25% off discount as a consolation, which I asked Nordstrom to pricematch. (Note: They said it was a one-time courtesy since it’s not in their pricematch policy to honor non-public discounts.) Although I would’ve preferred this QVC bundle, I value Nordstrom’s customer service much higher than a small discount. It’s still a pricey gadget especially one with a finite life, but if you compare it to a few spa services, it’s a smart investment. I still went for the higher end model, Clarisonic Smart Profile, since there are brushes for the body, and the less advertised, feet — all of the pedi brushes work with the Smart Profile!
- TheRealReal is an online consignment store and has an alarming amount of new, recent season Clare Vivier bags at a really good price. There’s the spotted Sandrine and Madeleine Petit in British Tan or Royal Blue Croco. The starting price is 50% off – $25 first timer credit* – 20% off with code PICKMEUP.
- Clare Vivier Margot Tote fans, Piperlime has the spotted tote on sale and Malia Mills has the solid totes on sale. It has a waxier finish than her other bags. I have a simple tote from her earlier collections and wish she had more simple designs.
- Eero Saarinen‘s love letters to his wife. (Curbed)
- Lego news:
I purchased and returned these very similar black leather duffle bags: the Madewell et sézane® nola satchel (left, limited edition and on final sale for $209.99) and Clare Vivier Duffle Grand (right, 50% off for $294.20). I’ve been looking for a satchel to tote around that is large enough for travel (not as the sole bag) and occasional everyday use. They are both very similar in shape, size (give and take an inch variance in each dimension despite the photos) and in color, but that’s about it.
- Leather – Madewell’s is much thicker and substantial. CV’s is too thin and that includes the leather strap. The zipper puckers a little when it’s zipped up. I doubt the strap would hold with heavy use. For a bag like this, I’m looking for durability.
- Shoulder strap – Madewell’s can be adjusted. CV’s is fixed and I think it feels a bit short.
- Top handle drop – Madewell’s is an inch longer, which means it can fit under your shoulder.
- Price – Retail of $299.99 vs $658.
My pick? Madewell. I’d returned the Madewell because I didn’t want to pay retail. Now, Madewell really needs to a % off sale code!
Happy New Year! I’m haven’t been in the biggest of shopping moods and being away from the computer has helped. I’ve been stalking J.Crew every morning for sale popbacks (and they didn’t have the greatest year so that pesky final sale is not back yet!). I happily resold a number of things on eBay right after Christmas through this week and am motivated to organize more things to sell.
Over the holidays, I used my Clare V black basketweave simple tote (similar) with my gold Clare V clutch (which was taken out of circulation for months). The simple tote is one of their sturdiest bags and can accommodate a ton.
A few good sales, ordered in my level of interest/variety:
- The Outnet. 50% off a ton (they carry prior season Net-A-Porter). If you’re a CV fan, it’s a must click.
- Piperlime. Up to 30% off everything. Hint: Gap Inc applies discounts to each item, so if you return something and dip below the $350 minimum for the max 30% discount, it shouldn’t affect what you keep.
- Anthropologie. 25% off sale with code INAFLURRY. Expiration unknown.
- Roztayger. 25% off sale with code EXTRASTRENGTH through Sunday night!
- Steven Alan
- W Concept. 30% off everything with code NEWYEAR through Friday 1/9 6pm ET.
- MILLE. 25% off sale with code NEWYEAR2015. Expiration unknown.
- Neiman Marcus
- Saint Cloud
Through Thursday night, get 25% off almost everything at Shopbop or its masculine counterpart, East Dane, with code FAMILY25. It’s Q4, aka that time of year when you’re better off freezing or cutting your credit cards if you’re avoiding spending money.
Petit Bateau Lycee striped top / Shashi Solitaire Necklace (and Ring) / Ginette NY Ring / Alice.D Leather Tote
Clare Vivier Dot Flat Clutch / [Asian Fit] Karen Walker Super Duper Strength / Ferragamo Vara pumps