I love this pintucked trapeze top. Despite the lackluster rating, the price was right (<$15 during a promotion) and there were many positive reviews to balance out the negative. I’ve found that many negative reviews on apparel websites aren’t due to quality but sizing — most reviewers are too lazy to try on another size before slapping on a low rating.
As an avid Gap shopper, I ordered it in XS, S, PXS, and PS. I am near the petites cutoff and found the petite to be shorter than desired, so I opted to keep the XS and S. For some reason, I liked the white in S and the navy in XS, but the differences are pretty negligible if you can only find one of the sizes. The airy rayon/cotton blend is perfect for sweltering temperatures (I speak from experience) and/or buffets. Pair it with a slim bottom to offset the volume. I might try belting it one day. Since I’m very picky when it comes to prints (fear of print fatigue), I did not try the print version of the top.
Through tomorrow, September 4, you can get 40% off Gap clearance (not to be confused with the rest of the sale items), including this top!
Of course online reviews are helpful, but one must always consider who the reviewers are – typical suburban housewife, city slicker, etc. On Gap.com, you don’t run into the same factors as on Yelp (where I may dig deeper into the reviewer – elite? all negative reviews? comments with no support?) but when someone raves about an Old Navy super casual dress being perfect for a wedding, you think twice.
Over the years, Gap has remained one of my favorite brands. As an American brand, it’s managed to continue to appeal to the fashion forward crowd while appeasing its conservative audience which will always expect to find their classic chinos, jeans, and tees.
Don’t stop churning out trendy items, Gap (and in case you forgot, re-read this post on Gap’s Fall collection)! Another brand with a similar issue is J.Crew. See what CEO Mickey had to say about that.
- 30% off Eaton Trading Company (including the new Clare Vivier Madeleine Petit (pictured)). Ends Monday.
- 30% off Drugstore.com Beauty & Accessories department. Ends Saturday. See here for drugstore red lipstick reviews. Works great with Shoprunner (for those Amex cardholders that got a free membership last winter). Also 20% off baby bath/skincare. Ends Wednesday.
- 20% off Bloomingdale’s sale with code EXTRA20. Ends Monday. Plenty of sizes left for the Kate Spade x Keds pointer (pictured) and cap toe flats.
- Low priced Longchamp Le Pliage bags at Farfetch. Totes (pictured) for $80… Farfetch is a global mall of boutiques and prices include import duties, which is great. If you do not want to pay for shipping, you can try pricematching with Nordstrom.com.
- 30% off Land’s End Canvas (and Land’s End) and free shipping with $50+ with code SHOPNOW and PIN 2030. Ends Tuesday. I like these sale items: Parker Pleated Ballet Dress and Striped Slouchy Linen Tee. And you can always return at any Sears.
- 20% off ASOS with code SUMMER4EVER. Ends Tuesday. I like this bodycon off the shoulder dress and got it in black. It runs TTS.
- 25% off Anthropologie house and home sale (yes, it’s an additional 25%). Ends Monday.
- 25% off Petit Bateau. Ends Sunday. I like the new short-sleeved tee in vintage milleraies cotton (I have this in the boatneck style from a few seasons ago) and this sailor dress (pictured).
- 40% off Gap sale. I picked up this pintucked trapeze blouse during the 50% off sale promotion. I will probably do another review some time in the future, but this top is an example why I continue to love Gap. It runs slightly big — I tried on XS, S, XSP, and SP and landed on XS for length.
- 70% off designer shoes at shoescribe. Permanent discount. I posted about this a while back — the sale is still going on and there are some great sizes/styles still available!
- 30% off SimplySoles sale (which includes Butter, Chie Mihara, Bettye Muller, Botkier, etc.) Butter fans, there are also a ton on sale at Overstock.com. I really like the Cass in nude patent.
- 10% off JCPenney. Ends Monday. They have a ton of Joe Fresh, Jonathan Adler, and Conran on sale.
- 20% off at Gilt City with code THANKS20. Ends Monday. Malia Mills, why must you be so expensive?
- 40% off LK Bennett at Nordstrom. Permanent discount. These nude patent Sybilas (pictured) are so comfy and sold out pretty fast! If you’re a 7.5, these Buntys are 50% off…
- 50% off Club Monaco sale with code FINAL50. I picked up the Tara Belt (pictured) a few weeks ago and love it.
Happy shopping! And keep in mind the New York City sample sale season is about to rev up and those Thanksgiving Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Q4 sales are right around the corner ;)
I hoard certain things and these Somme Institute Transport pads (review) is one of them. These are the gentlest glycolic acid product I’ve used. If you feel like you have gunk trapped under your skin, you need these. I don’t use these every night, but rather when I feel like I need them for a few days in a row. I ended up not getting anything from the Nordstrom sale and these sold out anyways. They were also pulled from Somme’s own site which leads me to believe the Transport Two product is a limited edition item. What makes the Two so good? You’re getting 100 pads for the price of 50. If you procrastinated, I have a better deal for you.
Skinstore has the Somme Institute Transport Two pads still in stock for $58 and a storewide 20% off with code SAVE20. If you buy through eBates (referral linked) you can get another 14% off. That’s about $40/container. I store my hoard in the fridge.
There have been a ton of good sales lately but I’ve been too busy to blog!
Here’s a nice Tuesday sale. For one day only, get 40% off at Eaton Trading Co when you purchase more than two items. All sales are final. But, they have some Clare Vivier and Karen Walker shades! I recently tried on the Number One tortoise shades by Karen and am smitten.