I haven’t felt like / had time to blog much lately, but here’s an update!
(1) Hangers. I never thought I’d be a fancy hanger snob. My mainstay are Joy Mangano Huggable Hangers (I have two shades in my closets, HSN has the best color range). My current squeezes, aluminum hangers, found their way into my check-in luggage and are super lightweight and aesthetically pleasing. You can find them at Muji (I think they are roughly 1.5x in the US > Asia and less variety) and at Zara Home in gold (much cheaper in Spain/Portugal, thanks to the weak Euro and home country advantage, but currently on sale in the US).
Sidenote: ZH was one of the few places I actually spent money at in Barcelona – definitely worth a browse but this online shopper cautions against buying sight unseen – their tableware, vases, etc. were extremely heavy. I’m also really confused why many vases cannot be filled with water?!?
(2) Brooks Brothers. My male coworkers always wore a ton of BB, but I never gravitated toward it because I’m not an avid button down shirt wearer and it always seemed pricey. It is still pricey but I just discovered their Red Fleece line (a prepster’s dream) and their wonderful sale prices (70% is the peak I’ve seen). I ordered a ton during their last sale to check out (a lot of it is going back). I’m not inclined to venture into a store — reviews of their service are horrible.
- Here’s a big thumbs up to their blazers.The cut and quality of their Milano fit navy blazer beats Ann Taylor and J.Crew, in my opinion right now. There is a lot of negative press for J.Crew at the moment and it’s merited. Do you want a stylish, classic blazer cut or a trendy one?
- If you are a button down shirt wearer, they have a lot of cute styles in the Red Fleece department. Reviews said that Red Fleece was sized smaller, but I found it fit the same as the regular collection, TTS.
- For the Loro Piana junkies, there are some styles on sale with Loro Piana wool (don’t trust the search box). BB is also on ShopRunner. So, if you like anything, sign up for their mailing list and wait for the extra sale on sale!
(3) Books. I still need to figure out where to go in Provence. I browsed through Janelle McCulloch‘s gorgeous Provence book yesterday while I was at Anthropologie. It provided a good high-level of the region. I’m also very intrigued at Monocle’s new travel guides. London has launched and New York follows in a few days.
(4) Lucky Magazine. If you haven’t heard, Lucky Magazine is no longer going to be in print. I’m waiting to see what this means for my print subscription…
(5) Returns. I ordered some vegan leather weekend bags from Sole Society (because it was featured multiple times on a popular blogger). The smell of it was nauseating. It immediately went back. I still much prefer a Longchamp that is lightweight and foldable. I also ordered some leather shopper totes from Cuyana. They are beautiful but too big. I really hope they make smaller sizes of the smooth leather tote. A recent J.Crew order didn’t go well – everything’s going back and I can’t say I was pleased with their service. Ann Taylor was worse than J.Crew though.
Image source: Repetto
Size up one full size for best fit (e.g. US 8 = FR 39). For patent styles, I sometimes size up 1.5 sizes.
Hope you had a relaxing long weekend.
- J.Crew. 30% off! I’m thinking of getting this navy blazer. I’ve been picking up some suit items from Ann Taylor lately (on sale, of course), but once you see a J.Crew Italian wool item, there is no comparison. If you’re planning on getting anything, there’s an $25/125 Amex offer that’s expiring today.
- Talbots. 40% off one sale item, 50% off 2+ sale items. Ends tonight.
- Steven Alan. 30% off full priced items. Note the long list of exclusions, but Clare V is included on the sale. Ends tonight.
- SSENSE (pictured). I had a lot of fun window shopping, but am saving up for Paris bag-wise. They also have a nice Helmut Lang selection, and pointy Chloe, and pointy Repetto Brigitte ballerinas. I find both shoes TTS.
- Salt water sandals. Amazon has them for 20% off with code FUN20SUN (only if Amazon is fulfilling). I really like my gold ones — but couldn’t justify getting more especially since they seem to last forever. The baby and kid ones look adorable as well.
- Monocle Travel Guide — New York City. Monocle is rolling out new travel guides. London and NYC are first up. I’m really curious — there are always so many travel guides like this published in Asia of NYC… really wonder if the Monocle one has anything noteworthy?
- Sephora continues to impress with its Sephora Favorites kits: the annual Sun Safety usually sells out, Ultimate Hair Essentials, Ultimate Travel Bag.
- Urban Outfitters sent me a half birthday discount of 20% off, which is great because I really want these Birkenstock Madrid sandals in EVA. They’re going to compete with my discontinued Crocs.
- Lucky Breaks has select Flight 001 items for 50% off.
- If you have a Capital One, the Quicksilver cashback card gives you 20% off Uber through April 2016. I already have a card, so asked for a product change. They do have a nice promotion for new cardholders, however, I don’t know if I would apply for the card just for the Uber discount. I don’t use it that often.
- If you like Zingerman’s, sign up for their mailing list. Their 25% off code may come in handy one of these days!
LeSportsac x Rifle Paper Co and Liberty of London. Image source: LeSportsac.
Clarks x Orla Kiely. Nordstrom and Zappos. Image source: Robert Fairer.
Most of Uniqlo x Ines de la Fressange Spring 2015 is on sale. This linen tailored jacket is a favorite and looks to have been massively restocked in the last 24 hours. Great quality and great fit! Currently on sale for $49.90, there’s another coupon if you purchase over $125 and shipping is free on all orders. My only quibble is I need to alter the sleeve length. If your size is out, the website seem to restock frequently at all times of the day.
Sidenote: Dear Uniqlo, if you had an online price adjustment policy, I would make less returns.
Image source: Uniqlo
I’ve been waiting for an Amazon lightning deal on the 7-in-1 Instant Pot! 51% off at $113.99, it’s a pressure cooker, steamer, and crockpot. And you can make yogurt?! The liner’s stainless steel and easy to clean. nomnompaleo has a ton of recipes… bone broth, roasts, etc.!
It’s a lightning deal so you only have 3.5 more hours to claim it!
Image source: Amazon
I love the look of Cuyana‘s smooth leather totes. I visited their showroom while I was in San Francisco last year. The quality of the Italian nappa leather was very nice, great neutral colors, and the price point was a big plus. I also like lightweight bags (like Celine Cabas and Alice•D Milano). But, it looks like with their Spring 2015 launch, prices have gone up almost 25% from $215 to $265? (I got access to their Spring 2015 collection by signing up for their mailing list.) And I never noticed how much the tote will need a base shaper.
Images from Cuyana
Confession: I placed a huge Uniqlo order at the beginning of the month. It was so large that they had to ship it in two huge boxes. I was extremely unmotivated to open them until this weekend.
Lots on sale at Uniqlo lately. Here are my sale picks which all happen to be $19.90 and are polka dot or stripe strong. Three of the four pieces below are from the Ines collection that I previously wrote about. Really really love this collection!
Images from Uniqlo
- The striped top is cut to accommodate non-ruler figures. I love it. I highly recommend it and the dress version. Note: this is a thicker cotton so will not be suitable for a typical hot summer day.
- Lightweight parka comes in various colors.
- This hoodie is from a collection with Yayoi Kusama and was from the guys’ side. If you really like it, Moma has it in stock.
- Usually silk blouses are too high maintenance for me. This IDLF one is cut well and can be machine washed!
As for the non-pictured John Robshaw collection. I am not a fan of the tees, but the linen dresses are cut well.
The sale on Ann Taylor sale is now 60% off. Which is a little bit annoying because I just placed an order yesterday! Ann Taylor does restock, but they’ve been on my black list lately for delayed cancellations. The 60% off sale ends at midnight PT tonight. If you miss it, don’t be too sad.
This embroidered dot perfect shirt is really cute and well made. The dots are embroidered! Sorry, only petites are available now but if you’re of the unbutton/roll up the sleeve variety, it may not matter.
This spring leopard jacket has been hanging on the back of a door. I like it — lightweight, dressy, distinct — but do I LOVE it? That’s to be determined. Extremely tempting at $60, as is this pretty sold out relaxed trench.
Images from AT
What I’ve been up to: got over jetlag, been getting acquainted with my Macbook Pro (so pretty!), and planning a trip.
- Missed the Lilly Pulitzer x Target launch (fell asleep, the story of my life these days). Checked it out online and have no regrets. I’ve never been a Lilly person.
- Applied for a Schwab checking account since it’s fee free and no minimums — that includes free ATM usage and no foreign transaction fees. It comes with a free brokerage account.
- Strengthen your skin’s moisture barrier – and reduce your acne. I’ve always gone with what felt right – lower ph cleansers! (link)
- Innisfree ships to the US now and their prices are really good! Use code USA15 for 15% off regular priced items for orders over $50 (HT: fanserviced). Their It’s Real sheet masks are buy 10, get another 10 free (just like it was in Taiwan a few weeks ago, but I’m not sure if you can mix and match online). If you buy over $70, you get samples and free international shipping (which is worth a lot). I love their volcanic clay mask and love this new packaging for travel. I do not put them on the same level as the other Korean brands I use (Mizon, Cremorlab), but I do really like their masks. (Edit – the ladies at Reddit reminded me to tell you there may be customs fees.)
- Sephora is giving 10% off to Beauty Insiders (which is free) and 15% off to VIB and VIB Rouge members through Tuesday, April 21 with code BILOVE/VIBLOVE/ROUGELOVE respectively. I splurged for the Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist Intense, which I can’t find anywhere else. Had my eye on it for a while and used giftcards!
- Madewell has up to 30% off almost everything through Monday, April 20. Love some of their dresses.
- Ann Taylor has 50% off almost everything as well. I’m shocked at how fast some of their new arrivals flew off the shelves.
- I think Anthropologie‘s additional 20% off sale ends on Monday, April 20. I picked up some more Ruan Hoffman for the kitchen (vase pictured above is from a prior purchase). One of my favorite collections!