The new Uniqlo x IDLF collection dropped today for women and girls. It is inspired by the relaxed wardrobe of Saint Tropez. The lookbook didn’t excite me too much but I couldn’t resist the tuck shirtdresses. It comes in linen cotton or cotton lawn prints. No surprise that these are selling the fastest.
I like some of the basic jackets and linen items, but I don’t need or love them and hate ironing. I have not been impressed by IDLF sweaters in the past and would opt to avoid.
The recurring Uniqlo x JW Anderson collection is dropping in 2 weeks.
Spies and Assassins
The Americans series finale aired in 2018. Watch it if you like spy drama, Keri Russell, or slower character development. It’s set in the 80s towards the end of the cold war and focuses on two illegals. It’s not as action packed as Homeland. Stream all 6 seasons on Amazon Prime. I like it enough that I may rewatch it when I have time.
Deutschland 83 is another cold war spy drama set in 1983 on the East vs West Germany front. It’s in German and subtitled. If you like The Americans, you’d like this. I found it very addicting. Great soundtrack. The season is shorter and easy to get through. Anxiously waiting for the release of the second season, Deutschland 86! Stream on Hulu.
TURN: Washington’s Spies is based on a Revolutionary War Long Island spy ring. I thought season one was a little slow but perhaps it picked up after it knew it was getting renewed. It’s beautifully filmed and you see a lot of colonial homes and fashion. Washington, Hamilton, etc. all make appearances. Stream all 4 seasons on Netflix.
Killing Eve is a heavy yet lighthearted drama with two female leads playing a very well dressed assassin and a MI5 agent. I liken it to an airy cake donut (it exists, check out the Underwest dark chocolate donut). This was the best new series I saw in 2018 and if you didn’t notice, Sandra Oh won a Golden Globes for Best Actress – Television Series Drama. Stream on Hulu.
Continue reading “to watch / spy dramas and more”
PSA If you wanted a blush mini bucket or teal saffiano mini mini bucket for sample size prices, go here and use code LOVE20 for 20% off!
Feb 17 Update: Last update. Hope you got what you wanted (drop me a line!). After much thinking of what would spark joy, I ended up getting the canvas bucket in creme/black.
Feb 16 Update: One more day of the sample sale. MG refreshes the sale page each day but there may be styles from the prior days that are not sold out. Also, if you can add to cart, click on checkout to confirm if it’s *really* in-stock! Good luck!
Feb 15 Update: Fingers crossed that unlike past sales, MG will be updating their online sale on the last day. See below for my Day 4 predictions!
The London sample sale started today. I like data points, so while I’m not able to post real-time updates about this sale (I have a job!), I hope this helps someone out for days 2-4 of the sale. (See my original sale post for the laundry list of tips.)
London online sample sale link
From their e-mail:
Shop Bags, Shoes & Ready-to-Wear
online and via Instagram Stories
February 13th – 17th
6AM EST ⁄ NYC Time
11AM GMT ⁄ London Time
Shop in London at
The Music Room
26 South Molton Lane
Mayfair, London W1K 5LF
Wednesday Feb 13th 11AM – 8PM
Thursday Feb 14th 8AM – 8PM
Friday Feb 15th 8AM – 7PM
Saturday Feb 16th 10AM – 5PM
Continue reading “to shop / mansur gavriel london online sample sale review”
Image: Mansur Gavriel
Since the inaugural sample sale in NYC in April 2018, Mansur Gavriel had a sample sale in LA in August 2018 and is now having one in London starting in the morning. The best part about these sample sales is that they also have one online! The prices and selection do not compare with the in-person sale, and you may also have to deal with cancellations and hiccups, but it’s better than nothing.
Refer to this post for some tips and tricks and my review of the NYC online sale. Read on for my thoughts on the LA online sample sale (yes, I am a bit late on blogging this) and details of the London sample sale.
Styles/Colors/Leathers and Prices
All items are listed on the sample sale page. Prices were 40-80% off, similar to the last sale, however, the selection was very limited. If you like suede, Blu, Black, you were in luck. I really wanted a canvas bag, but not enough to get a large tote (too big) and bucket (also too big).
Continue reading “to shop / mansur gavriel la online sample sale review and the london sale”
Yup, still catching up on my 2018 thoughts. Previously: 2018 thoughts on bags and self-care.
In general, I think I have a better sense of what works for my body and lifestyle. I also think I spend less on clothes than I used to, but I have not backed this up with credit card statement analysis. I have gotten better at returning things on time. Earlier in the year, I was better at reselling whatever didn’t work. I need to get back on that.
I work in New York City. Companies have gone more casual. My office has a business casual dress code with most women veering on the casual end and it saddens me. With that said, women dress for other women and I’m pretty demotivated to dress nicely! Of course, it is a personal choice on how to dress, but I still prefer to dress nicer. Even outside of the office, when I do go out, people don’t dress up. And it’s not because we’re going to a KBBQ. I prefer to buy clothes that can be worn all the time.
I still love neutral colors, especially black and navy. It’s versatile. I used to really like red as an accent color. Now, not so much. Perhaps forest green is the new red for me?
Brands I can’t quit
Uniqlo. Still my favorite for basics and the occasional collab. I consider it affordable enough that sometimes I buy at full price. I also had no problems with their e-commerce this year. I prefer to pay through PayPal (and they refund return shipping). My 2018 faves:
- Airism slip (previously). I wear this year-round under most dresses. Sorry, it’s not available… I did wait 4 years for it to come back the last time so I did stockpile this!
- U Crew Neck Short-Sleeve T-Shirt (previously). The Uniqlo U collaboration is recurring and each season has a new batch of colors. I haven’t checked out the new season (just launched) to confirm the fabric weight is still the same but I’m semi-shocked that Uniqlo increased the retail price from $9.90 to $14.90! You can find the past season on sale. New season also has a boxier relax fit version (unsure if it’s the same weight).
- Blocktech Outerwear (previously). However, this is one where I like to see them in person as I do not like the stiffy, boxy ones. Current Blocktech styles.
- Tomas Maier Flight Jacket. I got it in olive green (sold out). It’s on the lighter side for a jacket and perfect for layering, travel. Lots of pockets. This was an unexpected love for a lackluster (to me) collab.
- Extra Fine Cotton A-Line Striped 3/4 Sleeve Dress (previously). My favorite dress of the summer and perfect for those balmy summer days. It also does not require ironing after washing! Uniqlo has brought it back in slightly different colors. It also comes in dark solid colors, but I personally prefer the lighter colors since it’s a bit tenty.
- Light V-Neck Cardigan (previously). Also another summer staple. Hunter green has been having a moment and I couldn’t resist (and it’s a departure from my standard black and navy). Hope they will bring back the style for this spring, but I am stocked up for now.
Continue reading “2018 thoughts on clothes and shoes”