What I read about:
- Alison Roman going after WOC (Chrissy Teigen, Marie Kondo). Here’s a recap and her apology. (Sorry, I’m a week behind on posting, not reading!)
What I made:
- Dominique Ansel Gâteau au Yaourt. I made it with strawberries and in a muffin tray. (Recipe here but also recommend watching his Instagram post.) I didn’t love it.
- DIY Meet Fresh grass jelly signature. I made grass jelly (grass jelly powder and Knox gelatin) and boiled frozen sweet potato and taro balls from 99 Ranch. Way cheaper and healthier (less sugar) than the real thing! If I had made grass jelly ice, it would’ve been more authentic.
- Trader Joe’s ube mochi waffles (as pictured above). Their new seasonal pancake and waffle mix has been so popular that it dragged me to a TJ after not going for months. If this is the only item you want, I recommend calling ahead and asking because I heard the Bay Area locations are sold out. My location was sold out of the ube ice cream. Tip: if you love the mochi texture, make the waffle even more ‘q’ by substituting half of the recommend ube mix for tapioca flour. I also added a pinch of baking soda, even though it’s in the mix.
- Waffle maker recommendation: I love waffles but never made them before. I bought the Dash mini waffle maker in mint green. If you aren’t familiar with Dash, they have many super affordable kitchen electronics in a rainbow of colors. This is perfect for my household as I’m the only one into waffles and the machine is so tiny and easy to store. (Purchase at Target, Amazon. It’s been selling out!)
What I’m watching or watched:
- I finished Homeland (series finale), Outlander (season finale). About to start on Westworld.
- Chinese drama series, 鬓边不是海棠红 (Winter Begonia). It’s on Youtube with subtitles. 49 episodes. Set in 1930s Peking, much of the story is related to Peking opera. I still don’t like Peking opera, but feel like I have a better understanding and appreciation for it now. This series has the same producer (and some of the same actors) as the very popular Story of Yanxi Palace. The cinematography is gorgeous. The male lead is played by Huang Xiaoming (so good looking). There is another popular show (清平樂) that my dad is currently watching — but I’m usually multitasking and this one is harder to comprehend.
What I bought:
- Fresh flowers from Whole Foods on the Amazon app. It’s peony and tulip season!
- Estee Lauder had a BOGO for their ever popular Advanced Night Repair serum last week ago. I stocked up. It was at a few places and sold out pretty quickly. Estee Lauder is such a mainstream, older lady classic brand. I didn’t think to start using it again until I saw how popular this serum was in China.
- Shopbop is having a sale. It’s strange buying things to wear in public, when I don’t know when I will spend time in public again. I’m not sure if I will keep everything. I ordered Adidas x Missoni sneakers, a Ferragamo bag, and a dress (potential for a wedding). Generally, I add what I like to my hearts or wishlist and check back when there is a sale.
- Brooks Brothers flash sale. Similarly, I also add what I like to a wishlist and check back when there is a sale. If you miss the old J.Crew quality, check BB. Their collections are smaller than J.Crew, quality is typically better, and markdowns are not as aggressive but also because the style is less trendy. It is not uncommon for something from a few years ago to languish in the sale section because it’s not clearance prices. They also use Shoprunner 2 day shipping, which is easy to get for free as an Amex cardholder. I do have a high rate of returns with them, so won’t recommend anything until I’m sure I’m keeping it.
- Allure Beauty Box for May. I got the box that I posted about. Just as advertised. The June and July boxes (pictured below) have already been announced. If you want the Purlisse watermelon cleanser or the Peach and Lily glass skin serum, definitely check it out. I’m stocked up on the glass skin serum from the Ulta sales. As I mentioned, it’s easiest to order the Allure Beauty Box on Amazon. Order within the month you want (i.e. order the May box during May) and cancel the subscription once the box you want ships. Subscribing directly with Allure gets you some freebies, but it won’t be as easy to cancel.
June 2020 / Full size Purlisse cleanser, lip oil, Dashing Diva gels; variation between the Shangpree eye masks and LRP Vitamin C serum:
July 2020 / Full size Peach and Lily glass serum, lip and cheek balm, Clio eyeliner in purple; variation between the Dr Jart tiger grass gel cream, Dr Jart sunscreen, OR Sunday Riley Ice:
I haven’t done a beauty box in ages but rejoined Allure for the May box, which has a Skin Inc full size serum for ~$15. Skin Inc serums are small and expensive, so perfect at this price. I also want to try the other items — I think I’ve seen the AHC eye cream (also full size) on Instagram ads. I joined via Amazon so it’s easy to cancel.
If you’re looking for a solid facial sunscreen, Dermstore has a good Skin Cancer Foundation suncare set. These are the derm-recommended kind that aren’t as cosmetically elegant. I have used most of them and always have a stock of Elta readily available, but they are heavier and make me look shinier. Which is fine for Zooming from home or when I want good protection.
Dyson Air Purifier Fan. We are spending all of our time at home now and after our first few days of working from home, we were in dire need of clean air. The construction next door prevents us from opening our windows. While the work has stopped, it’s still super dusty.
I got the Dyson TP02 was the second one I bought. I’m a huge fan of Dyson and both of their air purifier fans are currently $100 off . The TP02 has wi-fi capabilities unlike the TP01 that may be discounted elsewhere.
Beauty. They are having a “Days of Beauty” event but not everything below is a part of it.
- Boscia $10 off tsubaki beauty oil and sake water
- Skinesque Substantial discounts. It’s a Korean-American brand which I haven’t tried.
- Tons of new items in the premium hair care section.
- Christophe Robin
- Cleaning Volumizing Paste. Mentioned in my last post. It’s cheaper than the Sephora sale.
- There are other shampoos available.
- Leonor Greyl. I haven’t tried this brand yet, but let me know if you have any recommendations. I would like to pick up a few things but am waiting to see if they will have a promotion.
- Davines shampoo and conditioner bundles.
- Kerastase (which I never got into)
Nespresso capsules. They have Peet’s on sale. Well priced if you need to stop up on quality capsules.
Updated: Added QVC deal on Peter Thomas Roth rose cell mask
More wearable to me than the last Marimekko collab.
- Apple AirPods Pro. I had the AirPods and didn’t love them as much. Costco has it for slightly less. So does Amazon. I also love this silicone case with ring. Maybe this is what I needed for the AirPods. I like the ring and an obvious color.
- Baggu! Their Earth Day 25% off sale with code EARTHDAY. I love the daisy and animal prints this season. A lot is out of stock already. Nordstrom has the sold-out Have a Nice Day bag.
- Vitabrid Dual Drop Serum. This is a LG brand. Not many reviews on their products. I haven’t used it long enough, but it’s very soothing for a Vitamin C serum. It just doesn’t have the brightening ingredients like Drunk Elephant. Use code RF29 for 85% off this product. When I had bought this I also picked up the scalp shampoo (not bad, used to be at Barneys) and the sheet masks.
- A sturdy tablet/phone adjustable stand. It was pricey and has increased dramatically, but it was worth it.
- Clarins V-Facial Intensive Wrap Mask, which seems almost impossible to find in stock. It depuffs your face.
- Samorga insert for my Goyard Artois tote. The Artois is reversible and I usually wear it print side out. I realized the leather lining has to be protected. The Artois PM is the same size as the St Louis PM. Samorga still makes the sleekest inserts, in my opinion.
- Farmacy limited edition cherry cleansing balm. It’s back in stock and 20% off. Mini review here.
- Sephora is having a 10-20% off sale through Monday.
- Nordstrom has been having aggressively marking down sale. They are not price adjusting for the current Better Together sale.
- Peter Thomas Roth masks, particularly the rose one. While the BOGO sale ended at PTR, QVC has great pricing. and there is a rose BOGO, use HELLO10 for $10 off.
- Costco Beauty: These are member-only items with extra discount that brings them to ~50% off. Ending today.
- Lo and Sons is 40% off everything and additional 15% off with code SUPPORTSMALLBUSINESS. Small businesses are really hurting now. See my review of their Hanover Deluxe 2 backpack.
- Ulta has been doing their 21 days of beauty. I’ve stayed away, because I don’t really need anything. I missed this morning’s 50% off Lancome Genifique serum. I also missed yesterday’s Nordstrom Genifique mask set. (Please let me know if you’ve tried the mask.) If you really want anything, check after midnight or first thing in the morning, because things do sell out. There is one more week left.
- Highlights for daily Beauty Steals, which is usually 50% off. Expect Sephora to price match if they carry the item.
- Wednesday – 50% off on some Kbeauty brands, including COSRX.
- Saturday – 50% off Peach and Lily Glass Skin Refining Serum. Peach and Lily never discounts this. I like this as a versatile hydrating serum.
- There are also weekly Hot Buys.
- Nordstrom – another sale after their large, unplanned sale. It’s best to have a wishlist and check on it. Also check your recent purchases. If the price dropped <14 days, you can ask for a price adjustment on the chat.
I really regret not renewing my NYPL library card before the outbreak… no free ebooks for me!
- NYTimes. I subscribe but their Coronavirus coverage is free if you sign-up. It’s the only news alert I get on my phone.
- Apple News+ (formerly known as Texture). You get all the news publications (including pay walled WSJ) and magazines (and back issues). I had to select an Uber reward and two months of this ($9.99/month) was way more useful than a $5 Uber reward.
- Favorite Instagram of late: Kathleen Jennings Beauty. She likes to mask, goes high (like CdP masks) and low. She also has a blog. I’m still a fan of blogs.
- Xiaohongshu (Little Red Book) is a Chinese app and is like a combination of Instagram, Pinterest, and Amazon. I use it primarily for reviews on products — it’s unfortunate that Instagram can’t be searched. Con: must be able to read simplified Chinese.
- TPF – don’t bother visiting if you do not like fashion or purses.
- Huaren – the Beauty and Fashion boards are my favorite, you can use Chrome translate, although it is not perfect and some things come out very strangely.
Watched, Watching, Will Watch
- Netflix’s Crash Landing on You Korean drama. I got a little obsessed with this and I hadn’t seen a Kdrama in a decade.
- Hulu Little Fires Everywhere
- Starz Outlander